Sense 3D Scanner FAQs
What are the new features of the Sense?
The new Sense delivers the same rapid, handheld 3D scanning functions for which it has become well-known. However, key new features include:
- Integrated with the RealSense SR300 3D camera, the very latest, short-range scanning technology from Intel
- Updated Sense software tools with improved editing functions
- Vastly improved color scanning
- Supports Windows 8 & 10 operating system
- Integrated sharing of scans with SketchFab and Facebook
How does it differ from the old Sense?
- The new Sense supports Windows 8 & 10 platforms
- The new Sense has an improved color image size of 1920 px x 1080 px
- The new Sense has a slightly smaller scan volume than the old Sense
- The new Sense does not scan uneven textures like hair quite as well as the old one did
What PC/Tablet specifications does the Sense require?
- Intel® Core i5™ 5th Gen or equivalent processor, at 2 GHz or faster
- 4GM of RAM minimum
- 1280 x 1024 minimum Screen resolution
- At least 2 GB of hard disk space available.
What sizes does it scan?
The new Sense is recommended for scanning objects and things of a volume between 0.2 m x 0.2 m x 0.2 m and 2 m x 2 m x 2 m (about 8 in x 8 in x 8 in, and 78 in x 78 in x 78 inches.)
What is the accuracy of the scanner?
At about a 0.5 m distance, the Sense has a depth resolution of 1 mm
If I need greater scanner accuracy what do I do?
Please take a look at our engineering-level desktop scanners – Geomagic Capture and Capture Mini. These deliver accuracy of 70 and 53 microns respectively.
What file formats does it save to?
Sense saves native files to a standard OBJ format that can be seen and retrieved in the gallery and exports to STL, OBJ, PLY and WRL for downstream use
Can I post the data anywhere?
Of course, but the Sense software also delivers direct postings links to your Facebook and Sketchfab accounts
In what software can I use Sense scan data?
- Any software that can import neutral 3D files (OBJ, PLY, STL, WRL) can use Sense scan data
- All 3D Systems Geomagic software design products also closely support these formats
In what applications does Sense work well?
We have found an amazing number of applications for Sense that our customers use daily including:
- Parts scanning (of about 7 inches in size upwards)
- Facial scanning (for medical, FX, gaming, simulation and other applications)
- Limb scanning (medical, prosthesis work)
- Museum scanning (archive and online posting of 3D data to Sketchfab)
- Educational activities (art, design, 3D projects)
Is there software I need to download to be able to use the Sense?
- Yes, the Sense app by 3D Systems must be downloaded from the 3d Systems web site at: http://www.3dsystems.com/shop/sense/downloads
- To activate your Sense 2 login or register at the 3D Systems web site, at: http://www.3dsystems.com/shop/sense/activate to receive the 4 digit activation code you will need to input to activate your Sense scanner
What kinds of features are available in the Sense app?
- Real-time scanning of objects into 3D
- Set the scan volume based on what you are scanning
- Generate polygon meshes from the scan data
- Crop unwanted data
- Erase unwanted data
- Solidify the model to create a watertight, printable mesh
- Trim unwanted data
- Adjust colors
- Retouch areas of the model
- Share to Sketchfab and Facebook
- Save out data to STL, WRL, OBJ, and PLY formats for downstream use
What languages is the Sense software available in?
English, Japanese, French, German, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Dutch, Italian, Korean
Does it use the same Sense app as previous Sense products?
No, the new Sense uses updated software that you will need to download from the 3D Systems web site
Does the new Sense app support the old Sense 1 scanner?
Yes the new Sense app supports the old Sense 1 scanner however there will be a noticeable difference between the two scanners with the color textures.
How can I tell which Sense handheld scanner I have?
There are a couple of differences you will notice.
- The shipping box of the Next Generation Sense is only in Black & White.
- If you look at the compliance label on the bottom of the new Sense you will see an Intel logo on the label.
- The 3D Systems Rock Hill address is also on the label.
Is there a warranty available on the Sense?
Yes. Sense has a return and replacement warranty available valid for 1 year after you activate the Sense scanner